There are many factors that contribute to the activity of termites, such as warmer temperatures with high moisture levels. Many areas of Texas will start seeing termite swarmers or “termites with wings” starting early Spring. Keep in mind, when they’re not swarming, termites are very good at keeping out of sight. Most times people are not aware they have a termite infestation until it is too late.
If you’re lucky enough to spot an infestation early on, it’s best to bring in an experienced pest control technician to perform an inspection. GGA Pest Management offers a customized program designed to protect your property from significant structural termite damage. Think you may have a termite infestation? Check out a few of these warning signs.
5 Signs of a Termite Infestation
1. Swarmers. These winged termites “swarm” or hover in large groups around the property in search of areas for colony expansion. This is often the only time property owners actually see termites before significant damage is discovered. If you have spotted swarmers around your home, it’s important to contact us as soon as possible to prevent any additional structural damage or colony growth.
2. Mud Tubes. Underground or “subterranean termites” create tubes of mud or “mud tubes” that travel from the ground to their food source – which is typically the foundation of your home.
3. Wood Damage. Termites naturally create moisture in the areas where they nest. For this reason, signs of termite damage often resemble water damage. Keep an eye out for blistering wood (or bubbling), peeling paint, and warped wood.
4. Wings. Finding discarded “swarmer” wings near areas such as your door or window frames is an early sign of a termite infestation.
5. Sounds. If you put your head close to a wood or wall infested by termites, you can actually hear them. You can hear chewing and clicking sounds. The “clicking” is actually soldier termites banging their heads against the wood — this is how they signal danger to the other termites in the colony.
Get a Free Termite Inspection
If you think you may have a termite infestation or you’re looking for a preventative solution, call us right away at 254-666-3439 or contact us online to schedule your free inspection! Our team is experienced and trained in spotting these signs around your property – even in hard-to-reach and see areas!